All 61 art Reviews

iXtal iXtal

I feel like looking at this is going to reduce a sanity meter or something.

Anyway, great job with the caustics. I'd say to watch the density of the effect - how spaced out the actual caustics are makes me think that this is meant to be a wee critter, but the wind wave density up top makes me think it's meant to be an incredibly large one.

It's the opposite of a big deal. You could always do the scale cheat sheet and throw in some birds. Underwater. It'll work.

Good picture.

sucho responds:

i learned a new word! yes its not meant to be very big, since i did copy the light patterns from pictures of people underwater, but i couldn't find good reference for the water meniscus at the top. now that i look at it i probably shouldn't have had so many light panes filtering down.

Red Lion Red Lion

Yo Zane - it's a shame you didn't finish it, I'd say this is one of your best examples of colourized work!

Still, great story behind it, and if nothing else, a piece that tells a story is totally worth showing off.

ZaneZansorrow responds:

Thanks Linty, I definitely agree with that. Dunno how I can re replicate the colors from what I did here but I'm sure I'll figure it out one day

Spark Poster Spark Poster

14 megabytes for a poster is slightly terrifying.

Still turned out well even if the robot does kind of look like it's crying. Sad about life. Never showed up to its Diode's deathbed. The colours are pretty good too.

radiodark responds:

Haha. I was thinking it looked kinda like little light bulbs, but tears are okay too.

Self portrait Self portrait

FZD grad eh? Well, looking good, man!

You know for a self-portrait I feel it gives too much away. You're really putting yourself out to be doxxed here. Just saying, be a bit more careful showing so much recognizable skin.

Lizertdesign responds:

Ya well, i wasn't that good at fzd XD i gathered information there, but couldnt use it at the time.
Now i am just trying to apply techniques, study other artists, Just like everyone else i guess :)

Sure, i shouldn't put myself in the spotlight like that XD

Headwrap Headwrap

I wouldn't worry about it mate, they're good portraits. Nice to look at. Only thing I have to offer is maybe watch the rendering on the eyes, the brushwork does make it look a little out of focus.

All the same, top stuff, hope to see more. Don't be put off, now.

dangelowallaceart responds:

hey thanks you're right I'll just keep painting

also i'm really glad you like the portraits, i'm going to play around with the definition of the eyes, you bring up a good point about focus <3

Mechagamezilla Painting Mechagamezilla Painting

Ah fuck, I forgot about it this year and he only advertises the bloody mailbag timing on his twitter.

All the same, great work. You've perfectly captured what it means to be MechaGameZilla in one simple picture.

screensaver girls screensaver girls

I did something similar where I had a little file for my desktop wallpaper and I'd just edit it whenever something notable happened with a commemoration or comment or scribble. Just to see where it'd end up. Eventually ended up so artifacted and retarded that it was a genuine loss for the world when I deleted it because it was stupid.

Anyway it's a pretty cool initiative for something I'm sure that you were sure that nobody else was going to see, Digital Devil Saga is the shit, and I liked that gradient tapestry in the background way more than I probably ought to, it's a shame you opted for the Photoshop outer glow effect (yeah it's probably manually done but whatever) instead of just layering the chicks on top and letting the scene breathe.

sucho responds:

i never trust that my lines read well enough to have clear borders, but yeah, i'm sick of my old trick of glows too.. had it been intended to stack them that way i would have shaded it properly, but each girl belonged to her own image so they were never meant to harmonize on a single piece :/

dagron dagron

I say embrace the incomprehensible nature. This picture wouldn't be nearly as interesting with shading, you should experiment with negative space more often.

Although I'm not sure if it's on purpose, the limbs are really humanoid for a creature. Excluding the vestigal ones. I mean fair bet it's on purpose to increase the unsettling nature, but as this is a one way medium of review death of the author is necessary for some really lame speculation.

Anyway neat work, upload more shit like this.

5 stars because who gives a fuck about stars on these reviews.

sucho responds:

for a largely animal-like creature i think i tend to rely on more ape-like appendages and with human-faced creatures i go for more animal limbs. faces, and i think the way we perceive how something moves/manipulates via legs and arms are the easiest way to discern human/non human creatures. When i do any being that requires either sympathy or a level of respect/admiration from the viewer, i'll tend to mix in some, but not all of those primate bits.

maste copy maste copy

Always the trouble, isn't it? When you sort of regress into direct painting instead of deconstructing and analyzing every little thing to get the most out of it. Whether it's still lives, plein airs, figure drawing, whatever.

All the same you did a pretty damn good job.

SimonT responds:

yeah, it is just so easy to lost yourself in the flow of the painting.

Jay Icon Jay Icon

I thought you were a surreal artist. The only metaphor I see here is Meth.

Mozakade responds:

Haha, I like to focus on surrealism but I also do stylized cartoons when I'm feeling up for it.